Re: Checking Process Status

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Checking Process Status
Date: Tue, 11 Feb 2003 17:10:55 -0700

Eli Zaretskii wrote:

On Mon, 10 Feb 2003, Kevin Rodgers wrote:
Jay Belanger wrote:
Kevin Rodgers wrote:

Then force M-x compile to run the command synchronously:

(fmakunbound 'start-process)

If I try that here (not with M-x compile), I get the message
"Multi-processing is not supported for this system"
(RedHat 8.0 with CVS emacs)

That is one of the undesirable consequences I alluded to.

Might as well be a bug in compile.el: sounds like some of its condition to run the synchronous path are based on system-type, not on start-process being not fboundp. Perhaps this should be reported as a bug.

I thought that when Jay wrote "not with M-x compile", he meant that some other
package that _requires_ asynchronous subprocess support had signalled the error.