find-alternate-file in 21.3.50.2 (OSX carbon)

From: Pete Oster
Subject: find-alternate-file in 21.3.50.2 (OSX carbon)
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 12:32:09 GMT

I built the carbon version of emacs 21.3.50.2 from Monday's cvs
sources and I now get the following error whever I execute
find-alternate-file (c-x c-v): "Symbol's value as a variable is void:
dired-directory".  Which is of course true in this context, since I'm
not doing a dired.  Setting the variable to nil in .emacs seems to fix
the problem, but that's a hacky workaround.  Is there something else
I'm supposed to be doing here?  Why does find-alternate-file reference
this variable anyway?