Re: Another word for "path"?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Another word for "path"?
Date: Thu, 13 Feb 2003 18:09:19 +0100

Friedrich Dominicus <frido@q-software-solutions.com> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> Friedrich Dominicus <frido@q-software-solutions.com> writes:
>>
>> > Maybe, this is the right choice but I was thinking Kai wanted a more
>> > general term for path. As I reread this mails "file-locator" has come
>> > to my mind. Am not sure if it's good but a least a suggestion.
>>
>> I think I'm going to use `localname'.
> Does not fit if you have another host in it...

Hm?  There are two kinds of Tramp filenames, multi-hop names and
normal names.  Normal names look like this:

    /method:user@host:/path/to/file

Multi-hop names look like this (using "[...]" to indicate that I've
left out something):

    /multi:m1:u1@h1:m2:u2@h2:[...]:mN:uN@hN:/path/to/file

In both cases, I'm looking for a word that describes "/path/to/file".

So if a hostname is mentioned in "/path/to/file", it will not be
interpreted specially.

It *is* somewhat confusing that the "localname" names a file on a
remote host, but that just depends on the way you look at it...
--
A turnip curses Elvis