Re: Another word for "path"?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Another word for "path"?
Date: Fri, 14 Feb 2003 18:09:09 +0100

Rodney Sparapani <rsparapa@mcw.edu> writes:

> Kai Großjohann wrote:
>
>>Hm?  There are two kinds of Tramp filenames, multi-hop names and
>>normal names.  Normal names look like this:
>>
>>    /method:user@host:/path/to/file
>>
>>Multi-hop names look like this (using "[...]" to indicate that I've
>>left out something):
>>
>>    /multi:m1:u1@h1:m2:u2@h2:[...]:mN:uN@hN:/path/to/file
>>
>>In both cases, I'm looking for a word that describes "/path/to/file".
>>
>>So if a hostname is mentioned in "/path/to/file", it will not be
>>interpreted specially.
>>
>>It *is* somewhat confusing that the "localname" names a file on a
>>remote host, but that just depends on the way you look at it...
>
> I agree that "localname" is confusing.  It seems to me that
> "/path/to/file" is what the emacs documentation calls "directory",
> i.e. "directory/file".

I'm sorry that I believe this is not right, either.  After C-x d, for
instance, you're supposed to type a directory name.  So people have
to include the "user@host" part and stuff.

I need something that specifies the part after the last colon only,
and that will not be confused with the whole string.

So I think that file and directory are out (because they are normally
used for the whole shebang), and pathname is also out (because the
GNU or Emacs coding standards specify that a path is a list of
directories, like $PATH and $MANPATH).

Hm, actually, (string= "pathname" "path") => nil, so maybe I can get
away with using pathname.
--
A turnip curses Elvis