newbie tiny-tools question

From: John F. Koenig
Subject: newbie tiny-tools question
Date: 14 Feb 2003 14:07:29 -0800

Hello,

I finally "decoded" the disconnect between the installation paragraph
in the README
<http://tiny-tools.sourceforge.net/README.html#quick_install__personal>
and what was actually required... Actually not that confusing once one
realizes that the path refers to the file ending in tinypath.el; not a
"directory root" of the tiny-tools package.

Maybe the problem that emacs novices have when they first encounter
the tiny-tools installation instructions is this... possibly because
they are not familiar with the emacs lisp load construct and they fact
that "tinypath" refers to a file (ending in '.el' which is not to be
expressed), not a directory. Mine looks something like this:

(load
"/Full-Path-To-My-Home-Dir/elisp/packages/tiny-tools-cvs/lisp/tiny/tinypath")

If the above is wrong or otherwise misguided please tell me. :)  For
example, is the tiny-tools directory, in a sense, the tiny-tools
package? And hence it should go into the package directory along-side
the other packages that will inevitably be downloaded via something
like perl-webget. I was considering looking into that tool for more
insight into what Jaari is intending...

My other significant question is where does a major-mode such as
python-mode.el go? Does it go here:

"/Full-Path-To-My-Home-Dir/elisp/packages"

That seems reasonable... as it would be counter-productive to put it
inside the tiny-tools distribution... wihch, BTW, the contents of
which are being copied from the SourceForge (tinytools) CVS
repository.

So with that, what tweak do I need to make to the tiny-tools
configuration to cause the python-mode to be invoked when I load a
file with \*.py ?

I see the instructions at the python-mode page indicating  one needs
to set the mode path and make file associations... Is it recommended
to put the same sort of emacs lisp instructions when using tiny-tools?
I was kinda hoping for something sort of automatic... when I placed
the python-mode.el file somewhere and restarted emacs. (I am using
version 21.2.1 and 21.1.1 on Linux and OS X, respectively.)

##

Some hand-holding would be much appreciated... :)))

Thanks and happy friday...