Re: Customize enforcing data relationships?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Customize enforcing data relationships?
Date: Wed, 19 Feb 2003 09:11:10 +0100

Galen Boyer <galenboyer@hotpop.com> writes:
[...]
> I was talking more about, if you set variable B, then you will need to
> set variable A.
>
> Or, you should set these variables in this particular order.
>
> It would be a way for customize to mimic those interactive installing
> programs.  Let the author define the dependency (how bout requirements
> as the term?) and customize could continue to take care of the setup
> interface.
>
> It would also be a way to get some of the nice windowy setup dialogs
> where they make it difficult for one to muck up their environment.  If a
> certain dialog box is clicked off, a whole particular section of
> variables gets grayed out.
[...]

You could at least do something like this, if it is applicable:

(defvar my-variable-A nil)

(defcustom my-variable-B "test"
  "A variable."
  :type 'string
  :set (lambda (symbol value)
         (set symbol value)
         (if (equal value "schubi")
             (setq my-variable-A "dubi")
           (setq my-variable-A nil))))

It would be nice, if this could be used to "gray out" some sections in
the customization buffer.

    Oliver
--
1 Ventôse an 211 de la Révolution