Migrating from emacs 20 to 21

From: Daryl Sayers
Subject: Migrating from emacs 20 to 21
Date: 20 Feb 2003 16:03:36 +1100

I have built up the courage to move from emacs 20.7 to
Emacs 21.2.2 (i386--freebsd, X tookit, Xaw3d scroll bars)

As I am a very poor at lisp I have struck some trouble. Here are a few
problems:

. The new left and right wrap margins (?) that display the line wrap char
  etc are black on my screen. I have looked everywhere to try and change
  this to a different color. I can't find an Xresource or a piece of lisp
  code to do this.

. While we are at it, I tried to change the color of the scroll bars. I
  read about the new scroll-bar faces but could not make it work.

. I use rmail for my mail. I used to use the mime-setup.el from
  MORIOKA Tomohiko and I was happy with this. I needed to remove this from
  my .emacs to get emacs21 to run. Reading the NEWS I see that 21 has inbuilt
  mime decoding, but how do I use it.

. When starting I use 'emacs -geometry 80x48', I see the window draw and then
  it resizes to a smaller size before completion. I found the problem is when
  I turn off 'tool-bar-mode' It seems the window dimensions take into account
  the tool-bar and then it readjusts. Any way of getting round this.

Where can I get information on how to set up faces. I would like to
redo the colors in the gnus article view mode.

--
Daryl Sayers
Corinthian Engineering                         Ph: (02) 9906 7866