Re: help:update to new version 21.2.1

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: help:update to new version 21.2.1
Date: Fri, 21 Feb 2003 16:20:54 +0100

Tom Hu <tomhu@cisco.com> writes:

> I update my emacs from 19.34 to 21.2.1. My init .emacs does not work
> correctly now.
>
> The first suspect is that when I edit a file, I got an error:

What kind of file?  If it is a C file, look for C mode customizations
in your .emacs file.

> file mode specification error: (error "Cannot recognize major version
> number: 21).
>
> All my c-style format are lost. setnu (set number line) is lost too.

Another alternative is to do the binary search dance: comment out the
second half of .emacs, see if the error is still there.  If the error
is still there, comment out more.  If the error is gone, re-enable
some commented-out sections.  Repeat until you get to the troublesome
statement.