Re: LaTeX-Fill-Paragraph and inline images

From: Felix E. Klee
Subject: Re: LaTeX-Fill-Paragraph and inline images
Date: Sat, 22 Feb 2003 00:02:27 +0100

David Kastrup wrote:
>> > and more complicated commands (like compute-motion) come to mind.
>>
>> Also seems to use columns for measuring distances.
>
> Well, but it takes into account fractional sizes, so it should be
> workable for that purpose.

Really? How can I test this? I just tried inserting an image into an
elisp buffer (using M-x insert-file) but compute-motion only seems to
see the source of the image. Therefore I can't get fractional sizes.

And, as mentioned before, I need a command that gives me the width of
characters in pixels (or inches, or whatever) in order to treat
variable width fonts properly. I already asked whether such a command
exists (thread "Getting the width of a character?") but noone answered.
Do you have an idea how to proceed?

Felix