Tramp & ange-ftp

From: Ant_Eater
Subject: Tramp & ange-ftp
Date: 24 Feb 2003 06:08:43 -0800

I've run into a problem running both tramp and ange-ftp on remote
sites.  I can access remote sites via tramp with the following syntax:

C-x C-f
/user@host:/path/to/file.txt

This works perfectly on hosts which have only ssh/scp available.  The
problem is that I have a couple of hosts where ftp is the only
available transfer method and I'd like to be able to use emacs to edit
files remotely on those hosts.  Is there a way of explicitly visiting
a file with ange-ftp?

BTW, When and why was the syntax for tramp changed so that it is the
same for ange-ftp??  Is there a way to revert to the old tramp sytnax
"/[user@host]/file.txt"  ??

I'm running Emacs 21.2 on Slackware 8.1 with a current version of
tramp recently downloaded from savanna.gnu.org(?).

Thanks for any assistance here.

-Mark