Re: Emacs and moused

From: John Paul Wallington
Subject: Re: Emacs and moused
Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 16:01:44 +0000

Peter Wu <peterwu@hotmail.com> wrote:

>>> I don't think it is what I am thinking of. After load that mode, I don't
>>> see any difference.
>>
>> Well.  Have you clicked the mouse somewhere?  It should position the
>> cursor where you clicked.  And button-down, then drag, then button-up
>> should highlight the region you dragged over.
>>
>> Does this happen?
>
> Ah yes, this does happen.

But is it a consequence of `xterm-mouse-mode'?  Does FreeBSD moused
support the xterm mouse protocol, or is it the case that moused acts
like gpm under GNU/Linux, providing generic support for tty programs?

There is the t-mouse emacs lisp library which supports gpm/mev and
allows `mouse-set-point' etc. - I don't think there is a similar
library for moused.

>> (You didn't say what you expected, so...)
>
> Sorry for that. I meant to know whether one can use mouse to click on the
> menu bar to invoke the menus like in X window.

Emacs on a tty doesn't do a drop-down menu, except for the MS-DOS
port.