Desperately trying to save as mac-roman

From: AG
Subject: Desperately trying to save as mac-roman
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 04:26:45 GMT

Hi all,

Bonjour à tous,

I just installed Enhanced Carbon Emacs  (version 2.1, emacs 21.3.50.4)
on mac os X 10.2.4, and I have no succes trying to save mac-roman
encoded files.

I tried adding a number of things to my .emacs, such as

(prefer-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
(set-buffer-file-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)
(set default-buffer-file-coding-system 'mac-roman-mac)

with no result. The files do get saved, but are unreadable by other mac
apps. Even re-opening them with emacs I get a bunch of ????'s (only
accentuated characters such as é, à, ô, etc. come out OK...).

For some odd reason I can correctly open mac-roman files, but saving
them does not work.

Any help will be greatly appreciated !

Regards,