Re: Word Wrap in GNU Emacs for OS X

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Word Wrap in GNU Emacs for OS X
Date: Tue, 25 Feb 2003 07:58:04 +0100

ngse@yahoo.com (S. Eng) writes:

> kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) wrote in message
>> sng@fscv.net (S. Eng) writes:
>>
>> > I downloaded Andrew Choi's emacs and everything runs fine. I am
>> > running the OS X installed on new Powerbooks. I have
>> >
>> > (setq text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>> > (setq fill-column 70)
>> >
>> > These are the same lines as on my Linux. But it is not wrapping.
>> > Everything I type is treated as one line.
>>
>> I suggest this:
>>
>> (setq-default fill-column 70)
>> (add-hook 'text-mode-hook 'turn-on-auto-fill)
>>
>> And then, you have to be in text mode (or a text-like mode) for this
>> to have any effect.  If you aren't, try M-x text-mode RET.
>
> Thanks.. But actually, my emacs that comes with Red Hat 7.2 also does
> not wrap either. I tried what you suggested, and various other
> combinations. Emacs ignore s everything about column-fill in my
> .emacs.
> On the menu bar under help, the 'auto wrap' is not checked. I tried
> 'clicking' and 'tabbing' but could not get it to take this option. I
> also went into 'customize option'. It says saved to .emacs, but when I
> look at my .emacs, nothing has changed.

>From your above description, I can't tell whether you did what I
suggested, and if so, what happened.

So, try putting the two lines I gave you in ~/.emacs.  Then start
Emacs, perhaps with "emacs --debug-init".  This will make any errors
more obvious.  Are there errors?  If there are, post the backtrace
and you don't need to continue :-)

Now type C-h v fill-column RET.  What does Emacs print?  Is it using
a default value of 70?

Now open a file, say ~/foo.txt, by typing C-x C-f ~/foo.txt RET.
Does Emacs say "Text" in the modeline?  If not, type M-x text-mode
RET.  Now it should say "Text" in the modeline.  It should also say
"Fill".  Now type a long line.  Does it wrap?

Usually, at this point people tell me: Yeah, when I do what you
described, it works, but it fails when I do *this*.  And then I tell
them where the problem is 8-)