Hiding references when editing LaTeX?

From: Felix E. Klee
Subject: Hiding references when editing LaTeX?
Date: Wed, 26 Feb 2003 20:15:24 +0100

Hi,

I like to use long names for labels in my LaTeX code. However, I find the
corresponding long reference commands disturbing when reading the code. Is
it possible to hide these references?

An example:
  Instead of
    We use equation \ref{SomeVeryVeryLongReference} to show something.
  I want to see
    We use equation # to show something.
  but upon moving the cursor on top of the '#' I want to see
    We use equation \ref{SomeVeryVeryLongReference} to show something.
  again.

Felix