RE: Readonly File, Changable Buffer

From: Bingham, Jay
Subject: RE: Readonly File, Changable Buffer
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 12:41:59 -0600

On Thursday, February 27, 2003 12:14 PM Benjamin Rutt wrote:

>googleartist@yahoo.com (Artist) writes:
>
>>  I like to read a file in emacs buffer and don't want to make any
>> change to the file itself, but should not have any problem in
changing
>> buffer contents.
>> Thus I like to dis-associate the buffer from the file.
>> ex.. I like to sort the data in buffer etc..
>> I looked at dissociated-press but doesn't make much sense.
>
>If the buffer is truly read-only according to your OS, use M-x
>toggle-read-only.
>
>Otherwise, just edit the buffer and don't save it.

Or if you are not comfortable with either of those options (perhaps
because you are afraid that you might accidentally write your changes
back to the file) you could create a buffer using the switch to buffer
command (C-x b) and insert (C-x i)the file in it.  The advantage of this
method is that there is no file associated with the buffer so it will
not overwrite the original file, and there is no file modification
overhead either.

-_
J_)
C_)ingham
.    HP - NonStop Austin Software & Services - Software Quality
Assurance
.    Austin, TX
. "Language is the apparel in which your thoughts parade in public.
.  Never clothe them in vulgar and shoddy attire."     -Dr. George W.
Crane-