Non-ASCII characters in Emacs 21.2.1

From: Kpn
Subject: Non-ASCII characters in Emacs 21.2.1
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2003 21:46:07 -0100

Hi all,

I am just starting to use GnuEmacs 21.2.1 after installing a GnuLinux
Red Hat distribution 8.0.

I am trying to write a text in spanish (with its non-Ascii characters) and the results are not satisfactory. I use Another-Level-Up window manager (based on FVWM) and the result on the screen runs well: I see the accents and other non-ASCII charcters but
the buffer is not correctly saved. By invoking:
$> more archive

I see  that the non-ASCII character has not been correctly saved.

On reediting the archive:
$> emacs archive&

The non-ASCII charcter are now incorrectly prompted on the screen. Of course texing the archive does not make a correct dvi file.

I would appreciate some help.