Regexp search hangs Emacs

From: Tim Morley (remove vegetable for email address)
Subject: Regexp search hangs Emacs
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 10:07:39 +0100

Doing a regexp I-search for `;\(.*,\)*-I,' in a buffer containing the line

ALTA:FU,KOM,MUZ;-O,FIZ,MAT,-AJXO,BIB,-ECO,GEO,AS,-IGI,-IGXI,-IGILO,MIL,-OMET
RO,FIZ,-OMETRIO,MAL-A,FU,MUZ,MAL-O,MAL-AJXO,Z,MAL-IGI,Z,MAL-IGXI,PLEJ-A,MA,D
IKMAL-A.

seems to cause Emacs to hang. I get the same result both with both of these
versions:
"GNU Emacs 21.2.1, i386-msvc-nt5.0.2195 of 2002-03-19 on buffy" under Win2k
"GNU Emacs 20.7.1 (i386-redhat-linux-gnu, X toolkit of Fri Mar 16 2001 on
porky)" under Red Hat Linux 7.2.

Up to and including the capital I in the regexp all goes well, but on typing
the next character (which causes the search to fail) Emacs does not say
`Failing regexp I-search' as normal, but seems to hang. A simple C-g is
sufficient to get control back, but I would like to be able to complete
my search.

I believe I have RTFM and STFW, but please correct me if I've skimped on
either! Explicative URLs, advice and/or solutions would be very gratefully
received.

Tim Morley

[Apologies is you've seen this message before; posted it to gnu.emacs.bug 36
hours ago but still can't see it on the server.]