Re: Non-ASCII characters in Emacs 21.2.1

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Non-ASCII characters in Emacs 21.2.1
Date: Fri, 28 Feb 2003 15:48:16 +0100

Kpn <kpnnpk@terra.es> writes:

> I am trying to write a text in spanish (with its non-Ascii characters)
> and the
> results are not satisfactory. I use Another-Level-Up window manager
> (based on FVWM)
>  and the result on the screen runs well: I see the accents and other
>  non-ASCII charcters but
> the buffer is not correctly saved. By invoking:
> $> more archive
>
>  I see  that the non-ASCII character has not been correctly saved.

Rumor has it that Redhat has changed to Unicode as the default
locale.  Type locale in a shell to see if this is the case.  Maybe
you will be happier with LANG=es_ES or something like this.

For opening old, wrong, files it might work to do C-x RET c utf-8 RET
C-x C-f /path/to/file RET.

If this wasn't it, please show us the file that got saved, and tell
us what you see on screen after opening the file.