Re: list a directory

From: roodwriter
Subject: Re: list a directory
Date: Sat, 01 Mar 2003 20:37:04 -0500

ck wrote:

> I used to type c-x f <return>, then I can view list of file in
> current directory. I could not view a list file in a directory
> after I  re-install xemacs. Did I miss something.
>
> D. Goel wrote:
>> ck <cljlk@hotmail.com> writes:
>>

>>>I have xemacs installed on my Windows2000, but I cannot list a directory
>>>files. In order to open the file, I have to know exact the file
>>>name in the directory and type
>>>the file name. How do I trigger the problem? Please shed a light.
>>>Thanks in advance.
>>

>> hi
>>
>> Type C-x d
>>

>> DG                                 http://gnufans.net/
>> --

You have the commands confused. C-x C-f is for opening a file or for
creating one where there isn't one. It's not for viewing the directory.

C-x d, as stated by D. Goel, is for viewing a directory.

Unless it works differently on Windows than on Linux.

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of my e-mail address. It's to
confuse spambots, of course.