Re: Word Completion by Association

From: Artist
Subject: Re: Word Completion by Association
Date: 3 Mar 2003 18:36:55 -0800

Le Wang <lewang(at@)yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:<YUR8a.151574$Zr%.124748@news01.bloor.is.net.cable.rogers.com>...
> Artist wrote:
>
> > Hi I am looking for mechanism which allows me to complete the word
> > based on association.  Example: I have only 4 words : [artist],
> > [google], [emacs], [gnu]
> >
> > then the 'representations'   r , o, m, u should be enough to complete
> > the above words respectively. Now lets say that we add the word
> > [glass] in my set. Then 'glass' can be represented by 'l' and if we
> > add the word [late] it could be represented by 'lt'. It's like
> > shorthand for emacs or 'auto abbreviation'.
> >
> > The key is that emacs automatically defines the abbreviations and let
> > us know.
> >
> > Is it already  possible?  difficult? possible at all?
>
> Your questions are nothing if not interesting. ;)
>
> Have you given any thought as to how you would implement such a completion
> system.
>
> Currently substring completion is possible and it does most of what you ask
> for.  See icomplete, mcomplete.

Hi,
  You may call this method: Auto Abbreviation in a buffer.
  When I type the text in buffer, it should automagically note each
word and figure out different combination of it, and make combination
index which when typed in buffer again should result in uniq word.

ex.. If I type:
---------- This is emacs
 It should create an index file in such a way that
when I type 'T' or 'h'   and hit some completion command it should
complete with  'This'.

My word:  Completion Word
Ti        This
hi        This
ts        This
em        emacs
mc        emacs
is        is
go        go
es        emacs

Thus I need to recall minimum letter of what I typed earlier. This is
much like iswitchb interface with the addition that you can type any
combination of letters, not necessarily sequentially.  When I add more
words, above table will change on fly or with some command

I dont' know about mcomplete, but icomplete mode is not enough for
this.

Hope that would clarify.

Artist