Re: scroll speed - emacs vs. xterm vs. rxvt

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: scroll speed - emacs vs. xterm vs. rxvt
Date: 04 Mar 2003 10:45:56 +0100

kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de (Kai Großjohann) writes:

> Alexander Sirotkin <demiurg@ti.com> writes:
>
> > Meaning that for instance rxvt is 42 times faster than emacs.
> >
> > Well... actually I don't know what to add, these results look
> > pretty bad to me. It means that I will never compile in emacs
> > window and should abandon all terminals except for rxvt.
>
> Does it help to hide the *Compilation* window (using C-x 1, say)
> while the compilation is proceeding?

I doubt it.  The process interaction performance of Emacs (just
receiving data from a pipe via an output filter and inserting into a
buffer) is awful even when the buffer is not on-screen.  XEmacs is
easily twice as fast, and that is still slow.  preview-latex's
operation was sped up considerably by making its error messages have a
shorter format.