Re: eshell: annoying filename completion

From: Le Wang
Subject: Re: eshell: annoying filename completion
Date: Wed, 05 Mar 2003 03:29:26 GMT

Barman Brakjoller wrote:

> Imagine you have this:
>
> ~/tmp/esh $ ls
> long_file_name.gif
>
> and want to do this
>
> ~/tmp/esh $ rm long_<pressing TAB here completes the filename>
>
> That works ok, eshell completes the filename. But what if I want to
> rename that file to long_file_name.jpeg? This does not work as I want:
>
> ~/tmp/esh $ mv long_<pressing TAB here completes the filename> lo<TAB
> again, nothing happens, eshell just beeps at me>
>
> I guess eshell is trying to be smart here, but in this case it is too
> smart for my taste... :)
>
> Any variable I might want to customize and any drawbacks?

I don't use eshell much myself, but I know I have to reuse the same filename
all the time, usually slightly modified the second time.  So this behaviour
would be too smart for me too.  ;)

I don't know if you know about dabbrev, and hippie-expand (the latter is the
superset of the former).  I think these can be used to easily do what you
want, and they'll be generally useful in other major modes too.

--
Le