Re: Init error message

From: Kevin Rodgers
Subject: Re: Init error message
Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2003 19:19:18 -0700

Kevin Reeder wrote:

Please direct me to a _searchable_ archive of usenet

groups.google.com

Went there and that's better than what I'd come up with on my own.
However, I need to get grounded in working with this .emacs file. The
syntax is a mystery and I just want to use the editor! Probably a common
whine. Is the only option to learn enough of LISP to hack it profitably
without having to cry for help over every little init error msg?

Have you browsed the Emacs manual?  It's available in emacs via `C-h i'.
If you're not familiar with Info, type `m Info RET' to learn how to browse
the GNU manuals.  Then you can read the Customization node in the Emacs manual,
and its Key Bindings and Init File subnodes in particular.

BTW, here's the new error:

        File error: "Cannot open load file", "auto-save"

I've located the line with the offending code; interesting it uses the
apostrophe instead of brackets (require 'auto-save) but when I switch I
get a different error on the same function which seems to be telling me
that it doesn't like the brackets. Like I said I'm in the woods here (but
willing to work).

[up] is a vector constant; keys (i.e. event sequences) are represented as
vectors.

'auto-save evaluates to a symbol; feature names are represented by symbols.

"auto-save" is a string constant; file names are represented as strings.

`C-h f global-set-key RET' explains that it is a function that binds a KEY
to a COMMAND (an interactive function, usually represented by a symbol).

`C-h f require RET' explains that it loads the "FEATURE" file in order to
provide the FEATURE feature.  `C-h f load RET' explains that the directories
in `load-path' are searched for the "FILE" to load.  `C-h v load-path RET'
will show you what directories are being searched for the "auto-save.elc" and
"auto-save.el" files.

The real question is: Why are you trying to load the auto-save library?

Finally, I should confess to previously using an alternative to GNU Emacs
because I had found these configuration issues more solvable under the
alternative. Now I'm abandoning that program for GNU Emacs. Is it possible
that the .emacs coding varies between the two emacsen?

Of course it is possible, and it's almost certain that the installations are
different (e.g. the load-path directories' contents).  But you are wise to
migrate to the One True Editor.