Re: Init error message

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Init error message
Date: Wed, 12 Mar 2003 15:36:46 +0100

Kevin Reeder <avail@uponrequest.org> writes:

> Went there and that's better than what I'd come up with on my own.
> However, I need to get grounded in working with this .emacs file. The
> syntax is a mystery and I just want to use the editor! Probably a common
> whine. Is the only option to learn enough of LISP to hack it profitably
> without having to cry for help over every little init error msg?

It seems that your errors come from copying and pasting things you
don't understand.  If you start slow and don't just snarf gobs of
Lisp code, it will be easier.

If you have a question, it's best to show the problematic Lisp code.
For example, I'm guessing that you had (require 'auto-save) in your
~/.emacs file for a reason -- maybe some additional lines that need
it?

Emacs does not have auto-save.el -- was the code from an XEmacs user?

For key bindings, I always recommend to use the kbd syntax.  It has
the advantage that C-h c, C-h k, and C-h l print out exactly the
syntax you need.  It works like this:

(global-set-key (kbd "<f4>") 'forward-char)

Instead of <f4> you can just put there whatever C-h k or C-h c or C-h
l tells you.  So after hitting Shift-F4 Ctrl-Meta-SPC, C-h l tells you

<S-f4> C-M-SPC

and this is ready for use.