Re: Font locking in PSGML mode

From: chris
Subject: Re: Font locking in PSGML mode
Date: Thu, 13 Mar 2003 04:16:23 -0000

On Wed, 12 Mar 2003 10:30:39 +0100,
Kai Großjohann <kai.grossjohann@uni-duisburg.de> spake thusly:

>> When I load a file into Emacs that starts sgml mode, there is no
>> syntax coloring. After I parse the DTD, the font coloring starts
>> working, but only on text that I manually move my cursor through. As I
>> move through each element, it becomes colorized.
>>
>> Is there a way to get this to happen automatically? I have the
>> following in my .emacs
>
> Note that psgml does NOT use font-lock for its syntax highlighting.
> This is because it is difficult to design regular expressions that do
> the right thing: with the right SGML declaration, you can tell the
> system to use different characters instead of "<" and ">", for
> example.

Well, I'd like to stick with PSGML for the editing rather than use
another mode (though I will check xxml.el out anyway). So, is there a
way to automatically simulate what happens when I hold the arrow key
down through the entire page to get the syntax coloring to appear?
Crude, but possibly effective...

> But I've been using xxml.el for XML sources.  I think xxml.el uses
> font-lock.  (But I haven't looked.)  xxml.el works for HTML, too.  So
> I think as long as your SGML files use the normal pointy brackets
> syntax and the SGML declaration doesn't do weird things, you should
> be fine.

I'll probably install this for quick editing and use SGML as primary...