emacs vs xemacs and the .emacs

From: Michael Powe
Subject: emacs vs xemacs and the .emacs
Date: 16 Mar 2003 13:20:27 -0500

hello,

i find that when i start xemacs, it gives the following error.

(1) (initialization/error) An error has occurred while loading ~/.emacs:

Invalid read syntax: "#"

well, the only `#' in .emacs occur in the color bindings for w3 from
customize, e.g.,

 '(w3-style-face-00018 ((t (:foreground "Black" :background "#f500f500f500"))))

so, i tried wrapping this customization in a conditional, e.g.,

(if (equal (substring (version) 0 9) "GNU Emacs")
(custom-set-faces
))

that has no effect on the error msg.  apparently, the problem is in
the reading (sort of indicated by the error msg itself) and not the
execution.

now, strictly speaking, i run xemacs so infrequently that i really
don't feel like hacking up my .emacs to make it happy.  afaiac, it's
broken, not me.  but if there is a simple way to circumvent the
annoying msg, i'd be happy to use it.

thanks.

mp

--
  Michael Powe                                 Waterbury, CT USA
"It stands to reason that self-righteous, inflexible, single-minded,