I can't redefine ";" !!!

From: Jay Dresser
Subject: I can't redefine ";" !!!
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 08:37:23 GMT

This is blowing my mind.  I've never had a problem redefining keys
before.

(define-key asm-mode-map ";" 'self-insert-command)

I am trying to disable the bizarre behavior of ";" in assembler mode.
I just want it to insert a ";".  No matter what I do (global-map,
asm-mode-map, in mainline of .emacs, inside asm-mode-hook) it _always_
comes up defined as 'asm-comment, which is apparently set by going to
asm-mode.  I thought that the hook code was called after going into
the mode, but maybe it's before.  Anyway, is there any way to make
this work?  Thanks.

--
Jay Dresser /
usenet