Re: ange-ftp and passvie mode

From: Michael Powe
Subject: Re: ange-ftp and passvie mode
Date: 22 Mar 2003 12:57:34 -0500

    Harry> My ftp client defaults to passive mode.  The -p flag sets
    Harry> passive on, so I see no way to start the client with
    Harry> passive off.  Other than giving the PASV command once it is
    Harry> started.

    Harry> I have one host that is different from any others I use.
    Harry> That host won't work with ange-ftp.  It does work with the
    Harry> command line ftp client if I switch off passive mode.

    Harry> So... What is the easiest way to switch off passive mode
    Harry> when using ange-ftp? That is, how can I pass a command to
    Harry> my ftp client when calling it with ange-ftp?  None of the
    Harry> M-x ange-ftp-<spc> completions look like they do that.

    Harry> Currently, calling ange-ftp on this particular client just
    Harry> hangs and never gets to a password prompt.

hmm, well, you could set up two versions of ftp, one passive, one
not.  i seem to recall i used to have a program called 'pftp' which
was ftp with passive mode the default.  i don't have that any more but
i see a reference to it in google.  then you could create a function
that would call the appropriate version for your particular needs.

why is ftp defaulting to 'passive on'?  that's not really best
behavior.  do you have it aliased to 'ftp -p'?

(setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-name "/usr/bin/ftp")
(setq ange-ftp-ftp-program-args (cons "-p" ange-ftp-ftp-program-args))

maybe 'tramp' could help?

mp

--
  Michael Powe                                 Waterbury, CT USA
"It stands to reason that self-righteous, inflexible, single-minded,