Re: New Emacs with GTK!

From: Niels Freimann
Subject: Re: New Emacs with GTK!
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 10:55:16 +0100

> actually, i doubt it.  i'm sure that there are many who, like me, do
> the bulk of their editing in -- gasp -- the console.  gtk will be
> worthless to us

emacs was introduced to me in the early 90th by a person who
belongs to the developers. What he installed on my machine was
X11 emacs.  I never saw anybody editing in the console seriousely.
Therefore I don't believe that too many of people do editing in the
console.  This people may use zile or something.

I fully subscribe to Miles saying that "I expect that once the GTK
version hits prime-time, it will get a lot more maintenance
attention than the other versions "

Furthermore I expect that, when the GTKversion hits prime-time,
the developers will remove all the anachronistic xlib and motif
code for the reason of a much slimmer code which will be
much more open to the community for maintenance.

-Niels