Re: New Emacs with GTK!

From: Marco Parrone
Subject: Re: New Emacs with GTK!
Date: Sun, 23 Mar 2003 15:56:44 GMT

Niels Freimann <nfreimann@firemail.de> writes:

> the gang. Emacs must become the text editor for the 3rd Millenia, and leave
> the past behind. Gtk isn't "the future", but the presence. Its a good choice
> for a world where most of us running gnome or kde, and ncurses, motif, etc.
> already has become the past. I know that this are harsh words - however they
> are true.

If GTK is the best for you, this does not mean that it is the best for
everyone.

Somebody loves using a GUI with millions of colors, windows here and
there, thousands of different fonts, with differents sizes, lots of
menus, icons, having to move the hands from the keyboard to the mouse
and vice-versa for all the time.

Other peoples likes having the possibility to not move the hands from
the keyboard for all the time, having a coherend, clean, readable and
eye-friendly 80x25 fixed chars matrix, with a little number of colors,
one single-size font, not superfluous decorations.

If I want to see something nice, I see a movie, or I play at a
videogame, or other millions of things.

If I want to do useful things in a fast and comfortable way, I use
Emacs in a console.

So, if you are not of the my opinion, you can see that there does not
exists the perfect solution for all, as we are more that 6,000,000,000
of persons in the world, and there is a big variety of needs or tastes.