Re: New Emacs with GTK!

From: Michael Powe
Subject: Re: New Emacs with GTK!
Date: 23 Mar 2003 20:01:23 -0500

    Daniel> Michael Powe <michael@trollope.org> writes:
    >> how many versions of unix include gtk libraries?  i suspect the
    >> answer is 'none,' but someone can apprise me if i'm wrong.  i
    >> know they are not on solaris 8, openbsd 2.7 or sunos 4.1
    >> because i have those.  i'd be very surprised if they were on
    >> freebsd, just because they are gpl.  therefore, restricting
    >> emacs to gtk means restricting its use to linux users who use
    >> gnome.  not likely.

    Daniel> Why wouldn't FreeBSD use GPL code? They use GCC, right?
    Daniel> Doesn't OpenBSD do that too?

they do use some gpl (gcc, e.g.) but freebsd'ers are among the
principal proponents of the "gpl virus" theory.  they isolate gpl in
their dev tree.  they often can be found in gnu.misc.discuss flaming
rms.

    Daniel> And FYI, GTK is not only for GNOME. It's a standard
    Daniel> toolkit on GNU systems. Many non-GNOME programs use
    Daniel> it. You obviously know this as you are using XFce, another
    Daniel> GTK desktop environment.

    Daniel> I don't argue that Emacs should be GTK only, but I do
    Daniel> think that GTK is a great step forward for Emacs. It makes
    Daniel> Emacs blend well together with the rest of the GNU
    Daniel> desktop, and I think it will encourage more would-be users
    Daniel> to try it out in the future.

yes, it's fine with me, i was more objecting to the tone of the OP,
who (along with some others) seems to think that the only user base
for emacs is composed of gnome/gtk users on linux.  it seems that many
who broke away to form Xemacs also thought it would spell the end of
GNU emacs.

mp

--
  Michael Powe                                 Waterbury, CT USA
"It stands to reason that self-righteous, inflexible, single-minded,