Re: New Emacs with GTK!

From: Ed Cavazos
Subject: Re: New Emacs with GTK!
Date: Wed, 26 Mar 2003 10:49:02 GMT

Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

> I think, when talking about SUN's hardware, you need to distinguish
> between server and workstation application.

Tim is right here. Many people get the idea that the traditional UNIX
workstations (Sun SPARCs, IBM RS/6000s, HP PA-RISCs) are slow. Yet
this, I believe, is due to the narrow perspective that the typical
user gets, via the CDE (Common Desktop Environment). CDE is sluggish,
even on the latest workstations. My respect for old IBM RS/6000 43Ps
(233 Mhz) was renewed when I saw how responsive KDE ran on them. The
same goes for Suns running Gnome.

Ed