Re: Emacs Customization - newbie's question

From: kgold
Subject: Re: Emacs Customization - newbie's question
Date: 31 Mar 2003 22:39:47 GMT

Rather than discuss books, I'll actually try to answer the question.  0-)
Answers for emacs only.

Asene <linux@networld.com> writes:
> 1) How can I change font size of Emacs and XEmacs?

; frame colors and size

(setq default-frame-alist
      '(
        (width . 80)
        (height . 60)
        (foreground-color . "antiquewhite1")
        (background-color . "navy")
        (cursor-color . "red")
        (font . "-*-Lucida Console-bold-r-*-*-11-82-*-*-c-*-*-ansi-")
        ))

; font

(set-default-font "-*-Lucida Console-bold-r-*-*-11-82-*-*-c-*-*-ansi-")

> 2) XEmacs colors seems to be ugly to me. How can I change it? I think I
> have to customize a lot when changing colors because I have to change
> the highlight syntax's color of some languages? So, can I download an
> option file from internet and where can I download it if available?

Generally, you set the colors for such things as variables, functions,
comments, keywords, and so on.  Each language will use the same
colors.

Try
        Edit - Text properties - Display faces

to get a list and what the colors currently are.

Turning on the coloring can be done once for all modes.

> I'm a newbie to Emacs. I tried to read the Emacs manual but it looks so
> complicated to me. So asking here is a better way for me, I think.

The people on the news group tend to be helpful, especially if you did
try to RTFM first, and you ask nicely.

Ken Goldman   kgold@watson.ibm.com   914-784-7646