Re: What did you do with Emacs!!!!!

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: What did you do with Emacs!!!!!
Date: 01 Apr 2003 14:28:27 -0500

> I liked Emacs very much, it was almost my only editor, and now I see an
> awfull GUI with a stupic JPEG picture and icons, and with an annoying
> blinking cursor.

C-h N will tell you all about how to disable those things.

> As I loaded it in my new server without X, it loaded
> jpeg as dependency, why the hell this?

That's because of how the packagers of your distribution built it.
Maybe they have a emacs-nox package ?  Otherwise, you can of course
build it yourself and choose whether you want gif and/or jpeg and/or
tiff and/or sound and/or ...

> Is there any purist version of Emacs for the old Emacs fans?

Try to build it without support for Xwindows.

        Stefan