Re: Problem installing ispell

From: Glenn Morris
Subject: Re: Problem installing ispell
Date: Thu, 03 Apr 2003 10:44:43 +0100

Alan Stein wrote:

> I got the ispell.el file, put it in the /usr/share/emacs/site-lisp/
> directory, opened emacs and compiled it with the byte-compile-file
> command. It seemed to compile okay, but emacs won't load it.

Emacs-21.1 (which your headers indicate you use) comes with ispell.el.
You don't need to install another version unless you want/need to
update it.

> However, if I try to load it with the load-library command, I get the
> message
> "Searching for program: no such file or directory, ispell."
>
> My setup is an iMac G4 with OSX.

ispell.el *is* working. ispell.el is an interface to the external
program ispell (or aspell) that actually does the spell-check. The
message means that ispell.el cannot find the ispell executable. You
need to install it if you don't have it, or help ispell.el find it by
setting ispell-program-name.