Re: death to tabs

From: Thomas A. Horsley
Subject: Re: death to tabs
Date: Sat, 05 Apr 2003 00:59:58 GMT

>I want _every__ tab I ever wrote converted to spaces right now and I never
>want to have a tab show up when I hit the TAB key again.

Me too, unfortunately I still need to use "make" (most versions of
which moronically require TAB chars at the start of actions, even though
if you accidentally put spaces there, it always complains about
an error in the file - if it can recognize spaces as errors, why
can't it just pretend they were tabs :-).

Anyway, I still nil out indent-tabs-mode, and just use quoted-insert to add
real TABs to Makefiles. By the way, you really want:

   (setq-default indent-tabs-mode nil)

otherwise you have to keep setting it again for every buffer.
--
      email: Tom.Horsley@worldnet.att.net icbm: Delray Beach, FL      |
<URL:http://home.att.net/~Tom.Horsley> Free Software and Politics <<==+