Re: What did you do with Emacs!!!!!

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: What did you do with Emacs!!!!!
Date: 08 Apr 2003 12:10:56 +0100

  David> Tim X <timx@spamto.devnul.com> writes:

  >> David Kastrup <dak@gnu.org> writes:

  >> >  What does the last buy you except make it completely
  >> >  impossible
  >> >to use something like
  >> ><URL:http://preview-latex.sourceforge.net>?
  >> I don't need it - I'm a blind user and ALL forms of graphics are
  >> a total waste of time for me.

  David> A detail worth mentioning.  Is there an advantage of using a
  David> window environment at all in that case?  I would imagine that
  David> it would not buy you anything over a pure tty Emacs.

It depends how he is using Emacs. An emacspeak interface would work
well within both. However there is still an advantage to using a
windowing version of emacs, as simply moving between the emacs window
and other windows will be easier, as it will have the correct title,
that is "emacs" instead of "xterm", or "command prompt" or whatever.

Most of the speech interfaces out there do actually reflect the visual
interface. Many of the windows ones for instance, when they are
reading text will only read what is actually on screen. Hence the
blind user still needs functionality to minimize and maximize windows,
rather than just move between them, even though you might have though
this was a purely visual cue.

Cheers

Phil