Re: Default colors 'list-colors-display'

From: Jesper Harder
Subject: Re: Default colors 'list-colors-display'
Date: Tue, 08 Apr 2003 20:56:12 +0200

brian.auld@adic.com writes:

> I therefore want to add a color that will ultimately show up when I do
> a 'list-colors-display'. It appears that when I go into a M-x
> customize ... I can only change colors to something that is defined
> under 'list-colors-display'.

Are you running Emacs on a terminal (xterm, linux console, ms-dos etc.)
or under a windowing system?

If you're using a terminal, then consider switching to a version of
Emacs running in a windowing system where there's much more than just 8
colours available.

Some terminals also allow you to change the colours easily from a menu
-- this is probably the easiest solution if you *want* to use a
terminal.

You could also get a version of Xterm that supports up to 256 colours,
but you'll need an extra Emacs package to take advantage of it (Google
for `xterm-256color.el' or something similar).