Re: network printing on an Win2k network.

From: Harald Joerg
Subject: Re: network printing on an Win2k network.
Date: 09 Apr 2003 12:07:36 +0200

pjacklam@online.no (Peter J. Acklam) writes:

> I use this on Windows XP and it works perfectly ("HOST" and
> "Printer" must be set appropriately)
>
>       (setq-default ps-lpr-command "print")
>       (setq-default ps-printer-name "\\\\HOST\\Printer")
>       [...]

That's what I had, too, but...

> With Ghostscript installed one can get the usual Windows printer
> dialog thing with
>
>       (setq-default ps-lpr-command "gsprint.exe")
>       (setq-default ps-printer-name t)
>       (setq-default ps-printer-name-option nil)
>       (setq ps-lpr-switches '("-query")) ; show printer dialog

I really like this one!  Thanks for the hint!

This inspired me to look for a solution for emacs under cygwin.  Under
cygwin, emacs appears *not* to create a file which can be fed to
gsprint (Customize claims that it does so under "MS-DOS and MS-Windows
systems"), but to pipe the buffer (or region) to whatever is defined
in ps-lpr-command.  I came up with a small shell procedure gsprint.sh:

    #!/usr/bin/bash
    TMPFILE=`mktemp -t emacs.print.XXXXX` || exit 1
    cat >$TMPFILE
    /$CYGPATH_TO_gsview/gsprint.exe -query "`cygpath -w $TMPFILE`"

...and set ps-lpr-command to "gsprint.sh".
--
Cheers,
haj