jde-mode, emacs 21 and comment auto-fill

From: John Lusk
Subject: jde-mode, emacs 21 and comment auto-fill
Date: 11 Apr 2003 16:00:26 -0400

Hep!  I've upgraded my emacs (on Win2K) from 20.7 (I _think_ it was
.7) to 21.2.  I was and am still using JDE 2.1.5.  Now my block
comments don't fill so nicely any more and I don't have a _whole_ lot
of time to go drilling down into what self-insert-command does when I
hit the space bar at the end of a long line.  I have a feeling the
solution is _not_ in comment-start-skip.

Here's my specific problem.  I write javadoc comments like the
following:

   /**
    * ssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss sssssssssssssss ssssssssss
   tttttttttttttttt
    **/

and emacs auto-fills it as above, if I write the "t" word at the end
of the preceding line and hit the space bar.  I would hope it would
pick up the fact that it's inside a block comment and Do The Right
Thing, but no.

Some variables I have set (unless I'm mistaken):

   comment-line-break-function is c-indent-new-comment-line
   comment-multi-line is t
   c-comment-prefix-regexp is ((pike-mode . "//+!?\\|\\**")
   c-block-comment-prefix is "* "
   fill-prefix is nil

So, what now?

(Thanks in advance. :)