Re: Are Windows-Emacs' scrollbars broken?

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: Are Windows-Emacs' scrollbars broken?
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 12:07:21 +0200

> From: j_del_strother@hotmail.com (Jon)
> Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> Date: 10 Apr 2003 02:10:07 -0700
>
> I'm running Emacs 21.1.1 under Windows NT.  The scrollbar behaviour is
> horrible.

I'd say this is extreme.  It's not horrible, at least not in most
cases.  It's just a little bit irregular, although in some rare cases,
like very small files and/or lines whose length varies wildly, it
could indeed look horrible.

> It doesn't scroll all the way to the bottom, stopping a couple of
> lines before the end of the buffer.
> And the scrolling text jitters up & down while scrolling.

This is because Emacs sets the scroll-bar thumb size based on the
number of characters, not lines.  One reason is that Emacs doesn't
count lines in the buffer unless specifically required to do so by
some command.