formatted output from lpr and lp with emacs

From: Wm. G. McGrath
Subject: formatted output from lpr and lp with emacs
Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2003 13:02:00 -0700 (PDT)

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting emacs to produce formatted output.
I'm not sure that it's even an emacs problem.
I can get formatted output from a console by using:
pr -l62 -F -o10 filename.txt | lpr
This will give me indented text from a Lexmark Optra S printer.
But lpr -i 10 -w60 -p will not.

Under emacs I have set up lpr-switches to ("-i10" "-w60" "-p")
These options show up correctly under M-x list-options

However the output from M-x lpr-buffer remains unformatted.
How do I format with pr under emacs - or is that the problem?

Hoping for clue,

            bill