Re: Emacs load-path after update

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: Emacs load-path after update
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 10:02:34 +0200

Ole Andre Birkedal <oandre-b@online.no> writes:

> kai.grossjohann@gmx.net (Kai Großjohann) writes:
>
>> It's difficult to say what has happened from this description.  Can
>> you given an example of a "program" that you took from the old
>> load-path and put it into the new site-lisp directory?
>
> Yes, there was very little detail about that, let me try to fill
> in on that, sorry.
> I am running gnus with mailcrypt just fine in the cvs compiled version
> of Emacs, probably because it came with it. When I installed it, it
> put gnus and mailcrypt in /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp, as you said.
> The program I am trying to move is ERC, the IRC client for Emacs.
> I have tried moving it into /usr/local/share/emacs/21.3.50/lisp, as well
> as /usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/ with no luck.

You should put the *.el and *.elc files into the site-lisp directory.
Do C-h v load-path RET and look if the directory
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp is mentioned there.  (In the
following, I'll assume that it is.  If it isn't, there should be
another site-lisp directory mentioned there -- use that instead.)

ERC should come with installation instructions to say what you need
to put in your init file.  If you want to install things for the
whole site, then frob
/usr/local/share/emacs/site-lisp/site-start.el.  (Create the file if
it doesn't exist.)  If you want to install it for yourself only, edit
~/.emacs.

It is not enough to put *.el files in directories, you also have to
configure Emacs to actually use them.  Usually, one would use
(require 'mumblefoo) for this or perhaps autoload statements.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)