Re: upgrade

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: upgrade
Date: Sun, 13 Apr 2003 20:48:29 +0200

"Ivan Danicic" <ivand@blueyonder.co.uk> writes:

> Hello Kai, I am using that binary but I have no reason to want to compile
> the thing. The only reason I did this was because the thing that I
> downloaded told me what to do. I'd be much happier to download a binary
> version. Is there one? Sorry to trouble you.

What did you download, then, in the first place?

The first message in the thread appears to be the following:

/----
| From: "Ivan Danicic" <ivand@blueyonder.co.uk>
| Subject: Re: upgrade
| Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
| Date: Fri, 11 Apr 2003 10:49:31 +0100
|
| Hello, running emacs --debug-init as advised says it can't find rmailgen,
| though it is in fact there.
| Ivan
| "chris.danx" <spamoff.danx@ntlworld.com> wrote in message
| > Ivan Danicic wrote:
| > > Hello, I'd like to upgrade emacs 21.1 to 21.3 or 21.4. I've tried to
| > > download these but in each case something was wrong with 'configure'. It
| > > can't find something or other.
| >
| > What was the exact error?

\----

Hm.  Hmmm...  Okay, I think I've been misunderstanding something.
Your first problem was NOT that you wanted to get rmailgen to work,
instead you installed Emacs 21.3 first and then rmailgen didn't work
anymore.

Okay.  Now I understand better.  You are running on a Windows system,
I guess.  The most recent precompiled version for Windows appears to
be 21.2.  So, yes, you have to compile it yourself.

But now I'm confused as to why you need X11.

[Going back further.]

Ah!  You're running SuSE.  Indeed.  Then X11 makes much more sense.

Okay, I'm not sure what the X11 development package is called, but I
guess you have that.  So please try to search for it using Yast or
whatever the tool on SuSE is and install the X11 development
package.  Then try "./configure" again.  Post the command line and
the output.  I hope that this enables people to help you more.
--
file-error; Data: (Opening input file no such file or directory ~/.signature)