Re: problem with grep and exec-path

From: David Masterson
Subject: Re: problem with grep and exec-path
Date: 16 Apr 2003 10:51:32 -0700

> I am using emacs 21.2 WINXP.

> I add the following line to my .emacs file in order to include the
> execution path for grep:

> ;;; Set exec paths.
> (setq exec-path (cons "T:/gen/gnu/99-11-01/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin"
> exec-path))
> ;;;

Although this form is probably the simpler and, therefore, more
portable form, I prefer to use:

(add-to-list 'exec-path
             "T:/gen/gnu/99-11-01/cygwin-b20/H-i586-cygwin32/bin")

> I evalutate this line and see that indeed the path was modified
> correctly. I still get errors when using grep.

> If I, however, move grep.exe under the emacs-21.2\bin driectory,
> everything seems to work.

> Does anyone have any ideas on this path issue? I'd prefer to not
> have a copy sitting in emacs-21.2\bin.

Hmmm.  I believe that M-x grep uses essentially the same mechanism as
M-x shell.  Therefore, after setting up exec-path, try M-x shell to
get to a shell buffer and then check the PATH of that shell from the
command line.  Perhaps there is something in your setup that is
resetting the PATH in a new shell.

Another option is to try setting "grep-command" to be the full path of
your grep command.  You may also want to adjust your find-grep-command
variable as well.

--
David Masterson                David DOT Masterson AT synopsys DOT com
Sr. R&D Engineer               Synopsys, Inc.