Re: GTK2 support in Emacs 21.3.1?

From: Stefan Monnier
Subject: Re: GTK2 support in Emacs 21.3.1?
Date: 17 Apr 2003 13:21:49 -0400

> Stefan - seriously, if I could I would. I would *love* to contribute to
> something like Emacs, and if I was capable I would make the time to do it.

I don't think it takes much special expert skill to contribute.  You can
contribute things like typo-fixes, improve the manual, better organize the
NEWS entries.  And then there are  ways to contribute to actual code without
being an expert programmer either.

> But, and please be patient with my naivety, does that mean that getting
> emacs to hook into the new font rendering abilities of XFree86 is really
> hard? Or is it just that the core developers are too busy working on more
> pressing issues in emacs?

I just don't know of anybody working on it.  I don't think people work on
issues because they are pressing in general, but rather because they find
it important/interesting/entertaining/...
I'm pretty happy with my 6x13 fixed font, so I'm not going to spend
my time on anti-aliasing although I agree it would be nice to have.

        Stefan