Re: New Emacs with GTK!

From: Michael Powe
Subject: Re: New Emacs with GTK!
Date: 19 Apr 2003 16:01:00 -0400

    Kai> dkcombs@panix.com (David Combs) writes:
    >> In article <87vfyai2ur.fsf@wassern.consult-meyers.com>,
    >> A. L. Meyers  <spamnjet@yahoo.de> wrote:
    >>> Don't be so sure, Niels.

    >>> The text console is alive and thriving, e. g. with the frame
    >>> buffer device, which may lead to a renaissance of the text
    >>> console.
    >>  What *is* this frame buffer device?

    Kai> It's a part of the Linux kernel and allows you to do more
    Kai> with the text console under Linux than a VT-100 can do.  (I
    Kai> gather you can show images with the framebuffer device and
    Kai> such.)

framebuffer will allow you to do "ansi" style graphics (the kind you
used to do on BBS all that long time ago).  svgalib on steriods.  it
also allows you to use proportional fonts.  but, my experience has
been that they look horrible in an ordinary monitor.  (i have a
gateway ev700 17", with a 32Mb radeon video card, e.g.) i prefer plain
old "terminal" output.  i can't even love the syntax highlighting in
the console from the latest emacs.

the problem with framebuffer is that you can't hide the fact that a
pixel is not square, so "squares" on the screen are portrayed as
rectangles and most fonts are distorted.

imo, if you want graphics, use X.

mp

--
  Michael Powe                                 Waterbury, CT USA
"It stands to reason that self-righteous, inflexible, single-minded,