no characters

From: Aydos juca
Subject: no characters
Date: Tue, 22 Apr 2003 01:03:14 -0300

I am running Debian Woody with Gnome 1.4. I just installed emacs21 and the problem is:

When I start emacs, I get the message:Warning: Cannot convert

string "-*-helvetica-medium-r-*--*-120-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1" to type FontStruct

and all the characteres on the emacs screen appear as an empty square. The menu characters appear ok, but the ones on the screen appear as just empty squares.

What can I do about this?

Thanks,  Carlos