changes to face customizations not saved

From: Cliff Heller
Subject: changes to face customizations not saved
Date: 24 Apr 2003 12:54:30 -0400

I recently upgraded to gnus emacs 21.3.1  from 20.x
I'm finding some of the highlighting during searches to be annoying.
so I explored customization options to turn it off.

However even after selecting "save customizations for future sesssions"
which does write the following to my .emacs:
(custom-set-faces
  ;; custom-set-faces was added by Custom -- don't edit or cut/paste it!
 '(isearch ((t nil))))

Future sessions start up with the isearch face redefined as inverse
video.

any idea why this happens or how to prevent it?

--
"Letters may be used to construct words, phrases and sentences that may be
deemed offensive."