Re: Per-File Auto fill mode?

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Per-File Auto fill mode?
Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2003 11:27:14 +0200

ticmanis@coli.uni-sb.de (Linards Ticmanis) writes:

> Hi Group,
>
> When I type Greek text (polytonic) for LaTeX into emacs, I use the
> following first line to prevent the dumb autoformatting of quote marks
> that are used as accent marks for Greek and thus must be retained as
> typed in.
>
> % -*- Coding: iso-8859-7; mode: fundamental; -*- %
>
> While I'm at it can I turn on auto-fill in this line too? What do I
> have to write? (I don't want it for all files or even all
> "fundamental" files though.)

Yes, specify `auto-fill' *after* the major mode:

% -*- mode: fundamental; mode: auto-fill -*-

> Another thing, in polytonic Greek the first line of a paragraph will
> often start with a ">" marking a "soft breathing" mark on the vowel.
> However emacs insists that I meant this as a "quoted text" mark and
> starts all the other lines in that paragrapg with ">" too
> automatically, and I have to delete it all the time which is annoying.
> Leaving out the first breathing and then having to remember it at the
> end of the paragraph is annoying too. Is there some way to get emacs
> to be *really* dumb and insert exactly those characters into the file
> that I'm actually typing in, without making (its idea of) educated
> guesses?

FWIW, I use AUCTeX for writing classical Greek in LaTeX and I don't
have such problems. You can always insert a literal quotation mark by
typing `C-q "'. Or, if that is not satisfying, you get probably more
convenient results if you turn off the autoformatting of quotation
marks in latex-mode instead of using fundamental-mode;
fundamental-mode is a bit ... erm ... fundamental.

    Oliver
--
7 Floréal an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!